Subject: bug#50666: 28.0.50; Fix native compilation on Cygwin

From: ASSI <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:00:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> Isn't there a way to rebase a DLL on the fly, when it is loaded?

There is (of course), but then there is no guarantee that you can do a
fork from the resulting memory image.  Which is exactly the problem that
fixing the base addresses of all DLL was intended to solve and has the
unfortunate side effect that you need to modify the on-disk
representation.  On 64bit, marking the eln as ASLR w/ high-entropy and
large address aware will probably work most of the time, but 32bit is
much more prone to collisions (in fact I did use a shell inside an X11
Emacs as my test case when I last unsuccessfully tried to make ASLR work
for Cygwin).

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf Blofeld:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds