Subject: Re: bug#50652: [PATCH] gnu: Add mjpg-streamer.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 23:19:32 +0200

Hi,

phodina <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/video.scm: (mjpg-streamer): New variable.

[...]

> +(define-public mjpg-streamer
> +  (let ((commit "310b29f4a94c46652b20c4b7b6e5cf24e532af39")
> +        (revision "1"))

Normally we only package releases.  If there’s a good reason to pick a
commit instead, please add a comment right above it so we know why.

> +    (package
> +      (name "mjpg-streamer")
> +      (version commit)

Please see
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Version-Numbers.html> on how
to construct version numbers for snapshots.

> +      (home-page "https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer")
> +      (license license:gpl2))))

Source headers such as
<https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/blob/master/mjpg-streamer-experimental/plugins/input_control/dynctrl.c>
explicitly say “or any later version”, so it should be ‘license:gpl2+’.

Unfortunately
<https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer/tree/master/mjpg-streamer-experimental/www>
alone shows a .jar (binary file) and a bunch of “minified” (non-source)
JS files.

Our criterion is that it should be possible to build the package from
source, so we should remove at least all pre-built binary files and,
ideally, pre-built minified JS.  I invite you to give it a try and
report back, whether or not it succeeds.

Thanks,
Ludo’.