Subject: bug#50643: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 03:33:56 +0300

On 19.09.2021 20:04, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> So far we only have one tag command, and it doubles for branches with
>> 'C-u'. The other tag-related command doesn't differentiate between branches
>> and tags.
>>
>> Would having essentially two copies of these, but with different names, be
>> a good idea?
> 
> It makes sense to create a copy where the meaning of its arg
> is reversed, so by default it will operate on branches,
> and only with C-u on tags.

Yup.

But I also wonder if reading START-POINT with completion (with current 
branch name as default) will make sense for creating tags in all 
backends too.

>> Are there some VCS which would benefit from a more stricter differentiation
>> between the two? Hg, perhaps? I don't know how branches work there.
> 
> So the question is what backends already use the arg 'branchp'?
> The search shows that vc-cvs-create-tag, vc-git-create-tag,
> vc-hg-create-tag all use this arg.

I thought of Hg in particular because there was a report or two citing 
some problems with how we handle them.

And: "Mercurial offers a variety of approaches to branching, including 
“named branches”, “bookmarks” (most similar to git), “anonymous 
branches” and using clones." 
(https://markheath.net/post/using-named-branches-in-mercurial)

That's basically all I know about it.

The introduction in 
https://www.draketo.de/software/mercurial-branching-strategy, however, 
sounds very similar to Git's approach.