Subject: bug#50630: [PATCH] Add tests for insert-directory

From: John Cummings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:13:26 +0000

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> For Tramp (I'm the maintainer) I don't care whether it is a separate bug
> number, or not.

Thanks Michael, I appreciate the guidance and flexibility. I see how
what looks like a single simple bug could end up lumping together a
bunch of otherwise unrelated maintainers or contributors, so if
separate bugs turns out to be the decision, so be it. I will certainly
keep this in mind if I run into a bug which is larger or more complex,
or can't be fixed quickly enough to make it into the same release.

> If you want to add/extend a regression test for the
> Tramp case, you might check whether tramp-test17-insert-directory in
> test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el is a proper place.

The test17 test(s) came up on my radar while I was trying to measure
the extent of the bug. I will make sure that I give good consideration
to possibly extending those tests instead of only adding new
ones. From what I remember, even though several existing tramp tests
called insert-directory, they were orthogonal to the free space aspect.