Subject: Re: [PATCH v1] gnu: gtk: Move wayland-protocols to inputs.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:18:21 +0200

Hi,

Removing a propagated input from gtk (by moving it to native-inputs) 
sounds good, but I don't see the point of the inputs->native-inputs 
changes.  Now I see there is a revised patch at

<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50627#8>

(albeit named v1 instead of v2).

Some comments on the new patch:

> diff --git a/gnu/packages/patches/gtk3-wayland-protocols-dependency.patch b/gnu/packages/patches/gtk3-wayland-protocols-dependency.patch
> new file mode 100644
> index 0000000000..03196713bc
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/gnu/packages/patches/gtk3-wayland-protocols-dependency.patch
> @@ -0,0 +1,23 @@
> +diff --git a/configure b/configure
> +index edd41ad..cb36877 100755
> +--- a/configure
> ++++ b/configure
> [...]

'configure' is generated stuff, not source code, so now the result of 
"guix build --source" is missing some source code (i.e., the revisions 
to configure.ac).

Proposal: modify configure.ac instead, add autotools inputs and delete 
'configure' such that Guix will automatically run autoreconf, see 
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2022-04/msg00009.html>.

Greetings,
Maxime