Subject: [bug#50627] [PATCH 0/2] Make wayland-protocols dependency native-input.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 21:57:39 +0200

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 16.09.2021, 22:23 +0300 schrieb muradm:
> wayland-protocols is not runtime dependency and only build time
> dependency for applications that directly using wayland.
Guix does not distinguish between "build time" and run time
dependencies.

> Initially I tought that making wayland-protocols a native-inputs
> dependency as it should, it would reduce number of dependants on
> it. But it turns out other way around. With this patchset we are
> fixing gtk+ to not advertise it as dependency in its .pc files,
> and moving wayland-protocols to native-inputs where it should be.
That's not what native-inputs are used for.  native-inputs provide
binaries that the host/build machine needs to run in order to compile a
package.  It doesn't seem to be the case that wayland-protocols is such
a package, is it?

> Patch provided for gtk+ also merged with upstream.
> 
> Patchset prepared from core-updates-frozen. While it seems that
> it will impact many other packages, actually this patch reduces
> number of packages that touches wayland-protocols and probably
> avoids it at runtime.
But it still impacts a large number of packages in ways that could
potentially break and haven't been tested, right?  While reducing
closure size is generally a good thing, I think we do need to be
careful whenever "build time vs. run time" and native vs. non-native
are confused.

Regards