Subject: bug#50626: 25.2; GNU Emacs aborts itself

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 15:36:08 +0200

Christian Brechbuehler <[email-masked]> writes:

> Anyway, it crashes quite often, sometimes twice in a day.  (Apport
> stuffs the core dumps away somewhere and prepares .crash files.)
> I just live with it, restart emacs and run recover...
>
> Your help is much appreciated, and I think your conjecture is correct.

[...]

> In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2017-09-22, modified by Debian built on lgw01-amd64-050
> Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12008000
> System Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

I think that means that you're not using a Gtk Emacs, because you should
have gotten something like:

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33)
 of 2022-08-27 built on joga
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description:	Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

if you did use a Gtk build.  So the crashes you're seeing is probably
not due to the known Gtk limitations.

Emacs 25.2 is very old, though.  Would it be possible for you to upgrade
to something newer (for instance 28.1) and see whether the problem is
still present there?