Subject: bug#50621: 28.0.50; Flymake wrong message about y-or-n-p

From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:38:10 +0200

This is a small recipe to reproduce the problem:

- emacs -Q
- Write: (y-or-n-p "Is this a test?")
- M-x flymake-mode
- M-x flymake-show-buffer-diagnostics
- You will see the following message: `y-or-n-p' argument should end
with "? "

According to this item in NEWS I was led to believe that the trailing
whitespace was not needed any more:

** 'yes-or-no-p' and 'y-or-n-p' PROMPT parameter no longer needs trailing space.
This has been the case since Emacs 24.4 but was not announced or
documented until now.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.18, cairo 
version 1.16.0)
  of 2021-09-16 built on hathaway
Repository revision: db12b386537f0a0d36a4759c625ba643e391e4f2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12009000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   flymake-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils time-date noutline outline
checkdoc comp comp-cstr subr-x rx cl-extra lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr help-mode cl-macs cl-seq
flymake-proc flymake project compile text-property-search comint
ansi-color ring warnings thingatpt misearch multi-isearch vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 112572 7925)
  (symbols 48 9674 1)
  (strings 32 28529 1758)
  (string-bytes 1 1055644)
  (vectors 16 19978)
  (vector-slots 8 337135 14232)
  (floats 8 37 28)
  (intervals 56 342 11)
  (buffers 992 16))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu