Subject: Re: bug#50620: [PATCH 0/2] Unify 'computed-origin-method' (linux, icecat)

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:42:21 -0400

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> A better solution IMO would be to improve the ‘snippet’ mechanism in the
> first place.  ‘computed-origin-method’ improves on it in two ways: (1)
> lazy evaluation of the gexp, and (2) allows the use of a different base
> name.
>
> I would think #2 is addressed by the ‘file-name’ field (isn’t it?).

Using the 'file-name' field would not satisfy my requirements.  It has
two problems:

(1) It would cause the unmodified upstream Firefox source tarball to be
    named "icecat-…" in the store.

(2) Although the resulting tarball would be named "icecat-…", the
    toplevel directory name within that tarball would still be named
    "firefox-…".

I consider each of these flaws to be unacceptable.

What do you think?

      Thanks,
        Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.