Subject: [bug#50620] [PATCH 0/2] Unify 'computed-origin-method' (linux, icecat)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:16:16 +0200

Hi there!

I’d rather go with zimoun’s original patch, which is focused and does
nothing more than what was originally intended, which is to factorize
the procedure.  I’ll go ahead and apply it shortly if there are no
objections.

As Mark wrote, ‘computed-origin-method’ remains a hack, so we can
discuss about the best way to improve on it, but that’s a separate
discussion.  What you propose, Liliana, is one possible way to improve
on the situation, but only on the surface: the hack remains, it just
gets its own module.

A better solution IMO would be to improve the ‘snippet’ mechanism in the
first place.  ‘computed-origin-method’ improves on it in two ways: (1)
lazy evaluation of the gexp, and (2) allows the use of a different base
name.

I would think #2 is addressed by the ‘file-name’ field (isn’t it?).

As for #1, it can be addressed by making the ‘snippet’ field delayed or
thunked.  It’s a one line change; the only thing we need is to measure,
or attempt to measure, the impact it has on module load time.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.