Subject: Re: bug#5062: 23.1.50; image-toggle-display overwrites nxml-mode local key map

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:08:59 +0200

>> IIRC auto-mode-alist can point to minor-modes (the auto-mode-alist entry
>> needs to look something like ("regexp" minor-mode t)), but I don't think
>> it can be used here (the constraints on how it can be used are very
>> strict since it needs to "consume" a suffix and be called before the
>> major-mode).  Maybe we could extend auto-mode-alist to allow things like
>> ("regexp" (major-mode minor-mode-1 minor-mode-2 ...)).
>
> Or just define a derived mode that does major-mode + minor-mode and
> use that in auto-mode-alist?

That's what I did in the previous patch where `image-mode-maybe' is
a combination of a non-image major mode (`normal-mode' with image-mode
entries removed from `auto-mode-alist') and `image-minor-mode'.

Or did you mean a joint mode like `c-mode-and-image-minor-mode',
`nxml-mode-and-image-minor-mode', `ps-mode-and-doc-view-minor-mode'?
Wouldn't this be too clumsy?

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/