Subject: [bug#50615] [PATCH] gnu: grokmirror: Update to 2.0.11.

From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 23:06:11 -0400

Xinglu Chen writes:

> * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (grokmirror): Update to 2.0.11.
> [arguments]<#:phases>: Don’t return #t.

Thanks for keeping grokmirror up to date.

>  (define-public grokmirror
[...]
> @@ -2487,8 +2487,7 @@ Mercurial, Bazaar, Darcs, CVS, Fossil, and Veracity.")

Unrelated sidenote: you could get a more informative hunk header for
your patches by defining a custom one (more details in the gitattributes
manpage).

>                                          "/man/man1/")))
>                 (mkdir-p man)
>                 (for-each (lambda (file) (install-file file man))
> -                         (find-files "." "\\.1$")))
> -             #t)))))
> +                         (find-files "." "\\.1$"))))))))

Oops, sorry about the unnecessary #t.  I did a quick search of the
lists/manual but didn't find any pointers/discussion.  What's the way to
decide when a custom phase should return #t (like in the below snippet
from the manual)?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(modify-phases %standard-phases
  (add-after 'install 'fix-egrep-and-fgrep
    ;; Patch 'egrep' and 'fgrep' to execute 'grep' via its
    ;; absolute file name instead of searching for it in $PATH.
    (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
      (let* ((out (assoc-ref outputs "out"))
             (bin (string-append out "/bin")))
        (substitute* (list (string-append bin "/egrep")
                           (string-append bin "/fgrep"))
          (("^exec grep")
           (string-append "exec " bin "/grep")))
        #t))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---