Subject: bug#50601:

From: Ricky Tigg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:06:07 +0300

Good to know. That turns unexpectedly that report into the most common
observable issue, which has root in documentation and
descriptions.commands. Of course from the analyse of  relevant materials,
manual PARTED(8) and parted's interactive interface "(parted) help", the
obvious is noticeable; yur depicted description is there missinge.

$ man parted
mkpart [part-type name fs-type] start end
                     Create a new partition. part-type may (...).

# parted /dev/sdc
(parted) help
  mkpart PART-TYPE [FS-TYPE] START END     make a partition

Here is the relevant information in this regards, though documented lately
in the logical information chain. Its reading may for that very reason
easily be missed:

# parted /dev/sdc
(parted) help mkpart
(...)
 'mkpart' makes a partition without creating a new file system on the
partition.  FS-TYPE may be specified to set an appropriate partition ID.

That's precisely within manual PARTED(8) and parted's interactive interface
"(parted) help" that information of first class relevance are dully
expected to be documented. What a pity it has not been according to that
principle since 2007 March 29 till nowadays. Regards.