Subject: bug#50592: closed (Re: bug#50592: Can't guix system init with grub-efi-bootloader from system that boots using grub-bootloader)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 14:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#50592: Can't guix system init with grub-efi-bootloader from system that boots using grub-bootloader

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
50592: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50592
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#50592: Can't guix system init with grub-efi-bootloader from system that boots using grub-bootloader
From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:05:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The original wish to install to EFI NVRAM without EFI
NVRAM is impossible; workarounds have been described.  Closing.

Regards,
Florian

Subject: Can't guix system init with grub-efi-bootloader from system that boots using grub-bootloader
From: Zacchaeus Scheffer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:33:17 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix!

I'm trying to install guix to a new drive using my main machine which boots
using grub-bootloader (legacy bios).  I want to put grub-efi-bootloader
(EFI) on the new drive install (for use on another computer).  However, the
install fails when running grub-install.  The full output at the end is:

copying to '/mnt/jake'...
populating '/mnt/jake'...
guix system: error:
'/gnu/store/w8v5d1i6xfqlpj78w89jg1x7f8dchh4k-grub-efi-2.06/sbin/grub-install
--boot-directory /mnt/jake/boot --bootloader-id=Guix --efi-directory
/boot/efi' exited with status 1; output follows:

/gnu/store/w8v5d1i6xfqlpj78w89jg1x7f8dchh4k-grub-efi-2.06/sbin/grub-install:
error:
/gnu/store/w8v5d1i6xfqlpj78w89jg1x7f8dchh4k-grub-efi-2.06/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh
doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.

I'm not sure if the fact that I'm currently booted in legacy bios mode is
important, but the problem persists after a guix pull && guix
system reconfigure, and I doubt grub-efi is broken for everyone.

Thanks,
zacchae