Subject: [PATCH] doc: Document how to handle bundled Emacs packages.

From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:17:32 +0200

See discussion about this:

  <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/50231>

* contributing.texi (Emacs Packages): Document how Emacs packages that are
  part of “standard” packages should be handled.
---
Not sure if «“standard” package» is the correct phrase, maybe someone
has better suggestions.

 doc/contributing.texi | 8 ++++++++
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index d1b77d7d05..6ba9907366 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -703,6 +703,14 @@ When encountering problems, it is wise to check for the presence of the
 file, and whether any dependencies and their versions listed therein are
 satisfied.
 
+Some Emacs package are part of other ``standard'' packages (e.g., the
+@file{notmuch.el} package is part of the official Notmuch tarball).  In
+theses cases, the Emacs package should be in it's own @code{emacs-}
+package, while the ``standard'' package should not contain the Emacs
+package.  E.g., the @code{emacs-notmuch} package only contains the Emacs
+package for Notmuch, while the @code{notmuch} package contains the other
+things---command line tools, C library, etc.
+
 @node Python Modules
 @subsection Python Modules

base-commit: a72519489f0178051b7049d5793d95d070ebef86
-- 
2.33.0