Subject: bug#50569: 28.0.50; [native-comp] emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load does not load require'd files before compiling

From: Adam Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 08:41:13 -0500

#+TITLE: Native-comp macro-defining macro bug

Hi Andrea, et al,

This provides a way to reproduce a bug I seem to have found in the
native-comp feature in this Emacs version:

: GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2021-09-06

* Summary

The function ~emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load~ does not seem to
ensure that macros defined in a ~require~'d file are defined before
compiling the current buffer.

* Steps to reproduce

1. In an empty directory:

   a. Make file =foo.el= with these contents:

#+begin_src elisp
(defmacro foo-define-definer (name prefix)
  `(defmacro ,name (name args &rest body)
     (let ((function-name (intern (concat ,prefix "-" (symbol-name name)))))
       `(defun ,function-name ,args ,@body))))

(provide 'foo)
#+end_src

   b. Make file =bar.el= with these contents:

#+begin_src elisp
(require 'foo)

(foo-define-definer bar-define-key "bar-key")

(bar-define-key baz (&rest args)
  (message "%S" args))

(bar-key-baz 'ARG)
#+end_src

2. ~(push default-directory load-path)~.

3. ~(find-file "bar.el")~.

4. =M-x emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load RET=.

*Expected results:*
+ Compilation succeeds without errors or warnings.
+ Macro ~bar-define-key~ is defined.
+ Function ~bar-key-baz~ is defined.

*Actual results:* Neither the macro nor the function are defined, and
these warnings are displayed in =*Compile-Log*=:

#+begin_example
Compiling file /home/me/src/emacs/misc/ecms/native-comp-macro-defining-macro-bug/bar.el
at Mon Sep 13 13:16:46 2021
bar.el:3:21: Warning: reference to free variable ‘bar-define-key’
bar.el:5:17: Warning: reference to free variable ‘baz’
bar.el:5:28: Warning: reference to free variable ‘args’

In end of data:
bar.el:8:2: Warning: the function ‘bar-key-baz’ is not known to be defined.
bar.el:5:22: Warning: the function ‘&rest’ is not known to be defined.
bar.el:5:2: Warning: the function ‘bar-define-key’ is not known to be defined.
bar.el:3:2: Warning: the function ‘foo-define-definer’ is not known to be
    defined.
#+end_example

* Additional notes

+ If ~emacs-lisp-byte-compile-and-load~ is called before
~emacs-lisp-native-compile-and-load~, the native compilation succeeds
without errors or warnings, and the macro and function are defined.

-- 
Thanks,
Adam