Subject: Re: bug#5054: 23.1.50; buffer-menu truncated fields

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:30:27 +0200

>> I propose to add the same options to `Buffer-menu-buffer+size-width' as
>> `Man-width' currently has.  It fits the output width to the window width,
>> and `list-buffers' could do the same.
>
> Does `Man-width' trigger a refit when the window gets resized?

Do you think it should?  Maybe.  So when a window is split horizontally,
it would refit.  But this requires re-running the man command with the
new value of the environment variable COLUMNS.

>> I think it's better to implement that by allowing dragging a handle
>> in the header line, and redrawing the buffer accordingly.
>
> Agreed.  We should also give the header line items the standard button
> appearance so it's easy to see (1) which sorting method is currently
> selected, (2) where and what I have to click, and (3) the position of
> the handle for dragging.

I think that ruler-mode has a good UI where it's easy to see
the position of the handle for dragging.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/