Subject: bug#5054: 23.1.50; buffer-menu truncated fields

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:18:41 -0800

> A> It also wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO, to change the default 
> A> binding of `C-x C-b' from `list-buffers' to `buffer-menu'.
> A> (I do that in my .emacs.)
>
> It seems the two commands produce the same window currently, except
> list-buffers gives some tips message at startup.

They always have produced the same display, since Day 1. Only the features (e.g.
keys/actions) are different. Personally, I have always set `C-x C-b' to
buffer-menu.

The main point here is to just mention the option in the mode help, rather than
introduce Customize buttons and other silliness into the buffer menu.

> A> FWIW, the code from buff-menu+.el could be integrated.
> 
> Too many 'other leading brands' of C-x C-b... good thing I'm using the
> official supported version, else you guys would never know 
> there was bugs:-)

This isn't a bug. Your report is an enhancement request.

My point was that the vanilla code could do what buff-menu+ does in this regard.
It is a hell of a lot easier to hit `+' to change the value of an option than it
is to use Customize or `set-variable'. It lets you adjust the display on the fly
to compensate for differing buffer names.