Subject: bug#5054: 23.1.50; buffer-menu truncated fields

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:12:04 +0800

mr> The doc-string of `list-buffers' says "For more information, see the
mr> function `buffer-menu'."

Yes, one can get as far as
$ emacs -Q
C-x C-b C-h k C-x C-b C-x o <tab> <tab> <return> C-x 1

However the following requires a jump in logic, as the user cannot know it.

mr> Customizing the group `buffer-menu' gives you a buffer including the
mr> option `Buffer-menu-buffer+size-width' which is probably the one you
mr> want to tweak here.

maybe there should be "you can customize this group" visible to the user so
he can learn that.

(By the way, I prefer to use setq and hate using the customization
interface.)

OK, now reading about the variable you told me about,

  Buffer-menu-buffer+size-width is a variable defined in `buff-menu.el'.
  Its value is 26

  Documentation:
  How wide to jointly make the buffer name and size columns.

But I want to use the same .emacs file with many different terminal
sizes. Why can't there be a setting 'maximum or 'current-window-width or
something?