Subject: Re: bug#50506: 28.0.50; display-line-numbers equivalent for linum-format?

From: Michael Gallagher - NOAA Affiliate <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 11:54:59 -0600

Thank you all for the replies.

Lars, I do this already but it only really helps most when it's high
contrast (white --> black) like you've shown here. And with that, it hurts
my brain for other reasons... I swear I'm not overly sensitive.

Eli, as far as your suggestions, these requirements make sense to me. I
took a crack at modifying xdisp.c and was able to display ascii characters
by appending to lnum_buf before the numbers are displayed. However, when I
tried to hook that into the lisp code and add a variable so that it
wouldn't be hardcoded (a must, of course) I fell flat on my face.
Converting between character lisp variables to the appropriate C types is
above my "undergrad CSCI refresher" pay grade. I wish I could be more
helpful but if I were to be the one to submit a pull request I would
probably need someone to hold my hand.

Best,
Michael

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 6:03 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Michael Gallagher - NOAA Affiliate <[email-masked]>
> writes:
>
> > The purpose for me is to clearly delineate the
> > text/code from the line numbers in a way that makes it easier to grok the
> > text being displayed. My brain sees the numbers as part of the code with
> the
> > current formatting of display-line-numbers, but maybe I'm uniquely
> > incapable.
>
> Does it help to customize the `line-number' face to something that has a
> different background colour than the main text?  For instance, setting
> the background colour to black gives me this:
>
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no
>

-- 
Michael Gallagher, PhD
CIRES Research Scientist
Polar Observations and Processes Team (ESRL/NOAA/PSD)
325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado 80305