Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/12] gnu: Add python-manim

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 16:49:42 +0200

Am Montag, den 13.09.2021, 16:46 +0200 schrieb Liliana Marie Prikler:
> Hi Daniel,
> 
> Am Montag, den 13.09.2021, 16:30 +0200 schrieb Daniel Meißner:
> > Hi Liliana,
> > 
> > Liliana writes:
> > > For the tests that need DISPLAY, the usual thing we do here is to
> > > spawn an Xvfb for display :1 and set DISPLAY accordingly.  There
> > > are several variants depending on what exactly else you need
> > > (some with dbus, some without), simply grep for "xorg-server-for-
> > > tests" and you ought to find one that fits your needs.
> > 
> > Thanks for your advice, I was able to spawn an Xvfb for display :1
> > like you suggested but apparently, the tests for python-manim want
> > to create some type of cache folder.  The tests now raise a
> > different error: `Failed to create //.cache for shader cache
> > (Permission denied)---disabling.' I have to investigate where this
> > error message comes from.  I suppose I have to set some environment
> > variable. Nevertheless, what would be an appriopiate writable
> > location for the cache?
> Normally, such tests want to write to $HOME/.cache.  I'm not sure why
> HOME isn't homeless-shelter in this output, but setting HOME or
> XDG_CACHE_HOME appropriately ought to resolve this one.
Oops, forgot about the value, normally we do (setenv "HOME" (getcwd))
in the build directory, for XDG_CACHE_HOME that'd be (string-append
(getcwd) "/.cache").  If whatever creates this cache doesn't honour
XDG_CACHE_HOME, you'll have to find out which variable it honours or
potentially patch it.

Happy hacking!