Subject: Re: bug#50503: [PATCH] Properly encode all strings sent to the Python shell

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 13:07:37 +0200

Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> writes:

> Some Python shell functions naively assume that '''<arbitrary text>'''
> is valid Python code, which is not true, say, if the arbitrary text
> ends with a quote sign.  This patch fixes this.

Thanks; pushed to Emacs 28.

> Some more remarks:
>
> - python.el now depends on Emacs 28 because it uses 'format-prompt' and
>   'comint-max-line-length' (luckily, only the latter is my fault).  Is
>   this a problem?

Yes -- that was a mistake, so I've now reverted the usage of
format-prompt here.

> - There are some long-obsolete functions (since say Emacs 24) that I
>   would like to delete.  One example is 'python-send-string' which is
>   easy to confuse with the 'python-shell-send-string', which is real
>   deal.  What are the rules for this?

We don't have any specific rules here, but I think we can start removing
Emacs 24.x obsoletions when we get to Emacs 29.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no