Subject: bug#50502: grep-command cannot be set as a cons of the command and the point position

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:38:06 +0200

Yuchen Pei <[email-masked]> writes:

> But not the following:
>
> (setq grep-command '("grep -inRH --color -A1 -B1 -E  ." . 31))
>
> as emacs would complain that grep-command is not a string, even though
> both use read-shell-command for the command reading.

Extending grep-command to allow it to specify where point should be
sounds like a good idea, but `grep-command' is used extensively both in
Emacs and (I'd guess) in external packages, so I think adding that
functionality that way is probably a lot of work.  (But I could be
wrong.)

Adding a new user option that says where point should be is probably a
lot less work -- `grep-command-point' or something.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no