Subject: bug#50500: Add ways to copy id bookmark link in eww

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:34:28 +0200

Yuchen Pei <[email-masked]> writes:

> Makes sense.  How about adding it as a customization variable, so that
> one can customize whether `w` also includes the id bookmark part and
> by default it does not.  It is often useful to save more precise
> positions in web page documents.

Hm...  I think it would vary whether a user would want to do this or
not.  Hm...  Perhaps a `C-u' to `eww-copy-page-url' could make the
command do this?

I don't think any other web browsers offer to make links to random id'd
elements in the DOM, do they?  id's aren't displayed visually -- they're
an internal DOM thing, so the user has no idea whether an element has an
id, or whether that id has a semantic meaning or not (they're usually
just put on elements so that they can be manipulated from Javascript).

So I'm sceptical that this would be useful in practice.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no