Subject: bug#5050: 23.1; efiff: Displaying bytes instead of characters in messages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 22:17:02 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> They are, but the output in that buffer is just raw bytes -- no matter
> whether the output is from stderr or stdout.  There must be a decoding
> thing that takes place later, but I'm still looking for where that
> happens.  (I'm wholly unfamiliar with the ediff code.)

But it's not doing that -- it's loading the files into normal Emacs
buffers, so the normal Emacs autodetecting of coding systems takes
place.

Hm...  to me it looks like it never decodes the output from diff -- it
doesn't care what's on the lines, it just uses the diff codes.

Here's what the output buffer looks like:

This is a buffer that the user doesn't see -- instead the real two
buffers are displayed, and the fontising is done there.

But again, I'm not familiar with the code here, but it looks to me that
that's what ediff-extract-diffs is doing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no