Subject: Re: bug#5050: 23.1; efiff: Displaying bytes instead of characters in messages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 20:38:04 +0200

Sebastian Rose <[email-masked]> writes:

> If I do
>
>   M-x ediff-files RET
>
> and choose binary files, e.g. x.png and x.jpg, this is, what I see in
> the `*ediff*' buffer (no indentation): 
>
>   Bin\303\244rdateien /home/sebastian/x.png and /home/sebastian/x.jpg sind verschieden.
>
> What I expect to see is:
>
>   Binärdateien /home/sebastian/x.png and /home/sebastian/x.jpg sind verschieden.

I don't have a German locale here, so I can't test this.  However, the
buffer I get when I try this is seems to use an utf-8 input method, so
it seems likely that this has been fixed in the decade that passed since
the bug report.

Does somebody here have Emacs running in a German locale and can test
this?  (Or any other locale that outputs non-ASCII characters for "diff
bin1 bin2".)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no