Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Font for fixed-pitch not resolved

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:34:48 -0400

Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Actually, the last patch I sent you is bad.  Could you try using this
>> one instead, and see if the problem goes away?
>
> It does not go away.  Before I added the patch I tried inserting a
> breakpoint on the x_clear_errors line.  Emacs never reached that line.
> I then made the patch and ran again, in case you were testing something
> different.  In each case, the behavior is as I described in the bug
> report.

How about the call to x_had_errors_p earlier, on line xfont.c:536?  Is
there any effect if we ignore the error by calling x_clear_errors and
not resetting xfont to NULL?

  xfont = XLoadQueryFont (display, name);
  if (x_had_errors_p (display))
    {
      /* This error is perhaps due to insufficient memory on X server.
	 Let's just ignore it.  */
      x_clear_errors (display);
      xfont = NULL;
    }