Subject: Re: bug#50497: [PATCH] Adding eww-{next,previous,up,top}-path.

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:01:43 +0300

>> Actually, the same 99.7% of all web pages doesn't provide special
>> attributes "next"/"previous"/"up" used by 'n'/'p'/'u' eww commands.
>
> That's also true, so I was sceptical about adding that (because it also
> makes `C-s' etc behave sub-optimally in 99.7% of web pages), so I've
> been pondering whether to remove it (or at least hide it behind and
> option defaulting to "off").

But users like it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/9oi1e3/ewws_awesome_isearch_support_just_blew_my_mind/

And if it behaves sub-optimally, it could be fixed by just creating
a new bug report :-)

> But at least it has one thing going for it -- it's a standard mechanism,
> not using guesswork.
>
>> So using URL regexp matching as a fallback for other 99.7% of web pages
>> that don't have numbers in URL will support (100% - 99.7%) * 2 pages.
>
> It's true, but it'll also make `C-s' (at the end of an eww buffer) guess
> at what's the next buffer, load it, and search through that instead.
> Which is just kinda problematic, since an URL with a number in it isn't
> necessarily related to the URL with the next number in it.
>
> We'd be displaying web pages to the user that the user hasn't asked for,
> and that the person who wrote the web site didn't intend for the user to
> navigate in that way.

I agree, then such fuzzy guesswork should be optional.