Subject: Re: bug#50497: [PATCH] Adding eww-{next,previous,up,top}-path.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:18:36 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Actually, the same 99.7% of all web pages doesn't provide special
> attributes "next"/"previous"/"up" used by 'n'/'p'/'u' eww commands.

That's also true, so I was sceptical about adding that (because it also
makes `C-s' etc behave sub-optimally in 99.7% of web pages), so I've
been pondering whether to remove it (or at least hide it behind and
option defaulting to "off").  But at least it has one thing going for
it -- it's a standard mechanism, not using guesswork.

> So using URL regexp matching as a fallback for other 99.7% of web pages
> that don't have numbers in URL will support (100% - 99.7%) * 2 pages.

It's true, but it'll also make `C-s' (at the end of an eww buffer) guess
at what's the next buffer, load it, and search through that instead.
Which is just kinda problematic, since an URL with a number in it isn't
necessarily related to the URL with the next number in it.

We'd be displaying web pages to the user that the user hasn't asked for,
and that the person who wrote the web site didn't intend for the user to
navigate in that way.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no