Subject: bug#50493: Update go-build-system to use Go 1.17.

From: Sarah Morgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 22:28:33 -0700

Hello,

Apologies it's taken so long for a proper response!

>> 2. Make some much-needed improvements to go-build-system [2]:
>> 
>> * replace the *slow* phase 'remove-go-references with -trimpath option
>> 
>> * avoid building a directory union of Go inputs (and then copying it!)
>
> Are these required to use 1.17? I agree they are important problems to
> fix but we shouldn't let them block the upgrade.

You're right.  I've gone ahead and sent a patch series to this bug which
rolls the cache, docker, and the update all together.

I've added one more blocker: #50688 [0], which is a dependency of chezmoi.

This should just leave #49921, the aarch64 issue, then this is patch is
ready to go.  With the patch from #50688, I was to build out all
dependents listed by `guix refresh -l go' (about 900).

Thanks for sticking with this! :)

[0] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50688

--
Sarah