Subject: bug#50491: 28.0.50; load-theme in early-init does not fully loads/enables expected faces

From: "Y. E." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 13:28:49 +0300

Hi Eli,

> If you load themes only in init.el, once, without loading them in
> early-init.el, does the problem go away?

It is now, though I used to see "blinking" (white background showing up for
a second before a dark theme load) on Emacs startup with the theme
loaded/enabled in init.el.
Probably I saw it on one of the previously compiled Emacs versions.

> The early-init file is not meant to support every single
> customization of Emacs, only those that must be done before loading
> init.el.

Sure. I thought it might be a bug because a theme used to be loaded
correctly from early-init.el up until some (past) moment.

One question though.
`(emacs)49.4.6 The Early Init File' says:
"you can customize variables that affect frame appearance"
and
"customizations related to GUI features will not work reliably"

"frame appearance" and "GUI features" to my _naїve_ eyes _seem_
a bit contradictory.
Could probably documentation be clarified saying more on what exactly
is (not)supported in the early-init file?

For instance, which of these expressions are fine to be early-loaded:
`default-frame-alist', `initial-frame-alist', `inhibit-startup-message',
`initial-scratch-message', `scroll-bar-mode', `tool-bar-mode'?

> So if this works in init.el, then there's no bug here.

I'm fine with that since it works for me now with init.el.

Thank you,
YE