Subject: Re: No network on GNU/Hurd, not even localhost

From: Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 10:40:36 +0600

Joshua Branson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I've downloaded latest QEMU image from build servers (build details:
>> https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/618573/details).  Then I booted it with
>> libvirtd on my Guix System on GNU/Linux.  It booted and the login shell
>
> Is this the same as booting it with qemu?  I know I've had issues with
> no internet access with the Hurd too, but I'm not a very technical user,
> so it's most likely operator error.
>
>> Can someone help me with this issue?  The QEMU image is almost unusable
>> without networking.
>>
>> Note: all commands and their outputs are copied by hand.
>
> I wish I had more knowledge to help you out.

QEMU has the same issue, I've described that in my first message. And
Hurd has networking.  It works out of the box on Debian GNU/Hurd
2019, and it's 2021.

I booted again with fresh copy of the image without the "-snapshot"
parameter, and herd was working.  But there was again no network and
after reboot herd stopped working too.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5

Get it with:

    gpg --recv-keys 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5

See https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/ to learn more and protect your
emails and yourself from surveillance.  Please send me encrypted
messages whenever possible.

Never send me Microsoft Office attachments, they use secret proprietary
format so I'll fail to read and trash them; send them in plain text if
possible or in formats like ODF and PDF if your document contains images
or videos. See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html to
learn more.

Please don't send HTML emails, use plain text.  HTML emails are usually
vulnerable, about thousand times larger than plain text and look ugly to
me.  They contain may trackers, so whenever someone opens a messsage he
is tracked by third-party.  See http://www.asciiribbon.org to learn more.

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments