Subject: Re: bug#50477: herd can't connect to socket on GNU/Hurd: Connection refused

From: Akib Azmain Turja <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 19:34:37 +0600

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> ping not working inside qemu is a frequently encountered problem.  See
> also the Hurd wiki:
>
>   […] note that ping doesn't work with QEMU's user-networking stack.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/qemu.html

Yes, it says so.  But it's wrong, or the Debian's Hurd port was lying to
me.  On Debian, AFAIK ping works, I can't verify it right now, since my
Debian GNU/Hurd image is corrupt.  :(

>
>> root@guixygnu ~# herd status loopback
>> error: connect: /var/run/shepherd/socket: Connection refused
>
> This means that shepherd isn’t running.  Can you reliably reproduce
> this?

Yes.

>
> As it is this bug report does not contain enough information to be
> actionable as we cannot easily reproduce the problem.  Could you please
> provide more information?  Otherwise I’d like to close it.

Yes, it obviously lacks many information, because I didn't have them
then.  But now I have that information:

1.  Get a fresh build of the disk image.  I'm using
    8gk0vdbvz50xc2irps4ijbjpsb2im6qk-hurd-barebones.qcow2, downloaded on
    17th January 2022 (this year).

2.  Boot with the following:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
qemu-system-i386 -m 1G -hda <IMAGE> -device rtl8139,netdev=net0 \
  -netdev user,id=net0,hostfwd=tcp:127.0.0.1:10022-:2222
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

3.  Login as root.

4.  Test shepherd, it works.  Everything works.

5.  Reboot with "reboot" command.

6.  Login as root again.

7.  Test shepherd again, it no longer works, and it won't work ever.

> Thank you!
> -- 
> Ricardo

-- 
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5