Subject: 28.0.50; Redundant version information in *Help* buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 21:30:00 +0300

From: [email-masked]
--text follows this line--
To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  C-h v xref-auto-jump-to-first-xref RET

(Many other variable names will also do.)

Observe in the *Help* buffer this text:

  This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
  version 28.1 of Emacs.
  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 28.1.

One of these two sentences is redundant.  I think if we have
information to produce the first one, the second one should be
omitted.

While at that, bonus points for moving this stuff to after the actual
doc string (except when the value is very long and is shown at the
end, in which case this information should be between the
documentation and the value).

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1750, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2021-09-07 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: 91afb9363de7f0c793f0b10414162ca82a5db821
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-modules
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source password-cache json map text-property-search
time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra cl-print etags fileloop generator
xref cl-seq project seq ring eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify
w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68877 11003)
 (symbols 48 8532 1)
 (strings 16 26740 1862)
 (string-bytes 1 739989)
 (vectors 16 15407)
 (vector-slots 8 199026 7240)
 (floats 8 31 174)
 (intervals 40 317 0)
 (buffers 888 12))