Subject: bug#50453: 27.2; Portable dumper broken on MSW

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 20:37:34 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> How do you mean "operates normally if the portable dump file is
> removed"?  Without a pdmp file, Emacs should load all the preloaded
> Lisp files when it starts up, which is definitely not something I'd
> call "normal".  Don't you see a long series of "Loading foo..."
> messages when Emacs starts without a pdmp file?

I meant to say that while Emacs does load loadup.el from source, it more
or less works normally after the load completes.

> First, the important figure is how much of the 768MB is free when
> Emacs loads.

That shouldn't be a problem; none of the indicators in the resource
meter report more than 45% utilization when the crash occurs.

> And second, you are using Emacs on Windows 9X, something that a few
> people do, so perhaps we have some bug related to that version of
> Windows.  If you can run Emacs under GDB, please step through
> pdumper_load and tell where it bails out.

That is proving to be a problem.  MinGW flat out refuses to start, while
the GDB from ezwinports complains about "KERNEL32.DLL" missing the
symbol "AttachConsole".  Do you know how I can obtain a copy of GDB that
will still work on this old system?  Thanks in advance!