Subject: Re: bug#50387: Possible bug in Tramp or in completions

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 20:04:03 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Gregory,

>> Why not? In this example, `completion-styles' contains
>> `substring'. And then you ask for completion of "/scp:". Looking at
>> the candidates returned by
>> `tramp-completion-handle-file-name-all-completions', only "pscp:"
>> and "scp:" have the substring "scp:".
>>
>
> Because after typing "/s" or "/sc" or "/scp" it makes sense to see
> that "/scp:" is among the completion candidates, but after typing
> "/scp:" it doesn't make sense anymore, the method has already been
> entered by the user, what they now want to see is a list of hosts, and
> there is no way to see it.

Type any first char of a user or host name, and you'll see it.

> I filed a bug report, explained in every detail what the bug is,
> provided a patch, and the end result is a situation that is worse than
> earlier.  I expect other bug reports from confused users,

We'll see. In my opinion, the situation isn't worse, but more
consistent, because there is no arbitrary filtering of method names
anymore (arbitrary in the eye of a user).

> and hope that you'll change your mind.

I will, when I'm convinced the current situation isn't acceptable. The
current situation (you must type a char in order to see the host name)
is described in the Tramp manual, and I haven't heard complaints about
since ever. (I know, nobody reads manuals ...)

> Closing.

Best regards, Michael.