Subject: bug#50387: Possible bug in Tramp or in completions

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 18:22:11 +0000

Hi Michael,

>>>> It seems to me that adding methods (which are not file names), 
>>>> conditionally to tramp-default-method, to file-name-all-completions, 
>>>> is not TRT, hence this bug.
>>>
>>> I disagree. Methods are part of a remote file name in Emacs.
>>
>> Okay.  So what would you suggest to fix that bug?
>
> I don't know completion styles, so I have no suggestions. I have 
> analysed what Tramp does, and this seems to be right.
>

I'm not really an expert of completion mechanisms either, but what I do 
know is that what Tramp does with methods in completions is not consistent 
with the way completion mechanisms usually work.

With emacs -Q and (require 'tramp), if you C-x C-f / TAB TAB, you'll see 
only two methods, namely "scp:" and "scpx:".  If you C-x C-f /a TAB TAB, 
you'll see two other methods "adb:" and "afp:".

If you now (add-to-list 'completion-styles 'substring), you still see 
"scp:" and "scpx:" after C-x C-f / TAB TAB, but you do not see any methods 
after C-x C-f /a TAB TAB.

>
> I hope somebody else chimes in.
>

Adding Stefan M in Cc.