Subject: bug#50387: Possible bug in Tramp or in completions

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 16:25:06 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Gregory,

> Tramp should not return methods when
> (tramp-completion-handle-file-name-all-completions "" "/") is called,
> because there are no methods in the root directory, what the root
> directory contains is files.  If Tramp was using another character
> instead of "/" before methods, the problem would not exist because
> there would be a clear way to differentiate files and methods.

FTR, this is simply wrong. Remote file names, starting with
"/<method>:", are first class Emacs citizens, designed that way more
than twenty years ago.

Completion styles have been added later.

> Anyway, I think I've now made my point as clear as possible, and I use
> the correct bugfix in my local Emacs, so I won't continue this
> discussion.

As you like. Until this problem has been fixed, I'll add a note to
Tramp's manual, that user and host name completion with the `substring'
or `flex' style require an initial letter or digit of the name.

Best regards, Michael.