Subject: Re: bug#50384: [PATCH] Optimise search-patch (reducing I/O)

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 10:09:42 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 at 09:41, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, that’s what I thought: <proto-package> could be used in
> ‘fold-available-packages’ & co., so that would kind of unify that.

Therefore, do we agree that the cache /lib/guix/package.cache should
be extended?  Because the v3 adding an extra cache [1] shows
improvements of "guix search" and v4 moving the extra fields to the
regular cache [2] shows the same improvements for searching and in
addition improves this cache generation.  The issue with v4 is the
field 'license'.  And v6 is an attempt to by-pass that (keep the
regular cache and only read on-the-fly the required information); but
because of this, I guess:

    (module-ref (resolve-interface module) symbol)

it is slower!

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/39258#68>
2: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/39258#89>
3: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/39258#119>

All the bests,
simon

PS: For cross-reference, discussion originally happened on
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/50384>.