Subject: [bug#50358] [PATCH core-updates-frozen 0/8] Shortened Rust bootstrap & other fixes.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 10:24:41 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I feel like search-path-specification should be augmented to express
> patterns that would be useful with search paths such as the too wide
> XDG_DATA_DIRS: enable only when a child directory/file is present, for
> example.
>
> So far we've been adding ad-hoc fixes in build systems (such as for the
> qt-build-system, via (guix build qt-utils)); it seems it'd be cleaner to
> add this capability at the search path level.
>
> What do you think?

I’m of the kind who’d rather have reality match the model.  ;-)

I think it would be nice to have a FONTCONFIG_FONT_PATH variable that
would only look at share/fonts.

What you describe would have uses beyond fontconfig, which is nice.  The
downside is that it would make search path semantics and their
implementation more complex; we’d have to see what the impact is.

Thinking about it, I wonder if having (file-pattern "^fonts$") would
work here.  But then, what if a profile contains several packages with
an XDG_DATA_DIRS search path but different ‘file-pattern’ values?…

Thanks,
Ludo’.