Subject: Re: [bug#50347] [RFC PATCH] lint: Warn about kernel modules with a suspect license.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 10:23:52 +0200

Hi Maxime,

On Thu, 02 Sep 2021 at 23:42, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This patch adds a 'suspect-license' linter detecting some suspicious
> values in the license fields of linux modules:

I do not know if it is worth to add a linter for really few corner
cases, IMHO.

> For zfs, the issue is the CDDL license.  For the others, the issue
> is the gpl3+ license.  See the article by the SFLC for why this linter
> detets ZFS:
>
> <https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/feb/25/zfs-and-linux/#footnote-other-ZFS-copyright-holders>.

The issue is about distributing binaries, IIUC.  From my point of view,
a such linter should check X-license packages using any build-system but
“linked“ to incompatible X-license packages.  Well, I do not know if it
is worth to automate this since it appears to me really sparse corner
cases.

Cheers,
simon