Subject: bug#50346: core-updates-frozen: strace 5.13 fails "make check" on AArch64

From: Simon South <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 15:51:30 -0400

Simon South <[email-masked]> writes:
> But this additional call _is_ expected on Guix systems, so the test
> cases ought to be modified to match.

Perhaps, but having looked into this it's complicated because

- The expected output from the tests is not contained in the source
  bundle in a separate, easy-to-patch file but is actually generated by
  the C code under test as it runs;

- Even if that weren't true, only one test must be patched for both to
  succeed, and the choice depends on the target architecture so there
  wouldn't be a single patch that could work in all cases; and

- The additional output that needs to be generated by the C code
  actually embeds part of a store path, meaning this would need to be
  determined by the code at runtime (possibly yielding even more
  "readlink" calls that would need to be accounted for) in addition to
  truncating and formatting the output to match what strace itself
  produces...

It's too much.  I'm going to follow up with a patch that basically
applies the diff above in a tidy manner, and I think that will be the
best solution.  It is a very limited change that does not alter the
purpose of the tests; does not allow them to pass where they would
normally fail; and will work equally well on all systems, even if a
completely different glibc package is introduced.  Certainly it is an
improvement over simply disabling both tests.

-- 
Simon South
[email-masked]