Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 03:01:48 +0300

On 18.09.2021 22:03, Juri Linkov wrote:

>>>> Yes, a separate feature request is preferable.
>>> I'm also thinking of a separate command for branch creation, wrote all
>>> that in bug#50643.  Thanks.
>>
>> This part might actually fit better in this one: if we add a new command
>> which will create a branch by default, then it will fit the new 'b'
>> keymap best.
> 
> 👍 for the new branch command.  Until now, I avoided ‘vc-create-tag’
> to not make a mistake that will create a tag instead of the branch.
> 
>> We could actually do the migration this way: create a new command which
>> "flips" the branch-tag relationship and put it on 'C-v b c'. Then, if we're
>> not removing the 'C-x s' binding in this release, we could obsolete the
>> command in favor of the new one because people create branches more often
>> tags tags these days (right?).
> 
> Shouldn't tag commands be moved to another prefix key ‘C-x v t’?
> But I don't know how often tag commands are used.

So far we only have one tag command, and it doubles for branches with 
'C-u'. The other tag-related command doesn't differentiate between 
branches and tags.

Would having essentially two copies of these, but with different names, 
be a good idea?

Are there some VCS which would benefit from a more stricter 
differentiation between the two? Hg, perhaps? I don't know how branches 
work there.

Either way, we could put the same command in both keymaps, but I also 
don't know how often the tag commands are used for working with _tags_ 
these days.

>> The command could also prompt for START-POINT by default: it shouldn't
>> really hurt to press RET once more at the end. It can also be useful to
>> double-check the branch you are currently branching from.
> 
> A prompt for START-POINT would be fine with completion on branch names,
> and saying what the default value will be used when exiting with RET.

Yup!