Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 22:03:42 +0300

>>>> It would be nice if vc-create-tag allowed to specify start-point
>>>> conveniently:
>>>>
>>>> git checkout -b new-branch-name START-POINT
>>>>
>>>> Currently I do this in shell.
>>> Perhaps we could do that with 'C-u C-u'.
>>>
>>> Yes, a separate feature request is preferable.
>> I'm also thinking of a separate command for branch creation, wrote all
>> that in bug#50643.  Thanks.
>
> This part might actually fit better in this one: if we add a new command
> which will create a branch by default, then it will fit the new 'b'
> keymap best.

👍 for the new branch command.  Until now, I avoided ‘vc-create-tag’
to not make a mistake that will create a tag instead of the branch.

> We could actually do the migration this way: create a new command which
> "flips" the branch-tag relationship and put it on 'C-v b c'. Then, if we're
> not removing the 'C-x s' binding in this release, we could obsolete the
> command in favor of the new one because people create branches more often
> tags tags these days (right?).

Shouldn't tag commands be moved to another prefix key ‘C-x v t’?
But I don't know how often tag commands are used.

> The command could also prompt for START-POINT by default: it shouldn't
> really hurt to press RET once more at the end. It can also be useful to
> double-check the branch you are currently branching from.

A prompt for START-POINT would be fine with completion on branch names,
and saying what the default value will be used when exiting with RET.