Subject: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 03:09:13 +0300

On 17.09.2021 18:15, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> On 16/09/2021 14:54 +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> 
>> On 16.09.2021 14:46, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>>> Maybe I should express this wish in a separate bug, but:
>>>
>>> It would be nice if vc-create-tag allowed to specify start-point
>>> conveniently:
>>>
>>> git checkout -b new-branch-name START-POINT
>>>
>>> Currently I do this in shell.
>> Perhaps we could do that with 'C-u C-u'.
>>
>> Yes, a separate feature request is preferable.
> I'm also thinking of a separate command for branch creation, wrote all
> that in bug#50643.  Thanks.

This part might actually fit better in this one: if we add a new command 
which will create a branch by default, then it will fit the new 'b' 
keymap best.

We could actually do the migration this way: create a new command which 
"flips" the branch-tag relationship and put it on 'C-v b c'. Then, if 
we're not removing the 'C-x s' binding in this release, we could 
obsolete the command in favor of the new one because people create 
branches more often tags tags these days (right?).

What do people think?

The command could also prompt for START-POINT by default: it shouldn't 
really hurt to press RET once more at the end. It can also be useful to 
double-check the branch you are currently branching from.