Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:32:46 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think in the long-term it would be nice to have these keybindings:
>
> C-x v B   - vc-switch-backend
> C-x v b c - vc-create-tag (maybe it should have an alias 'vc-create-branch'?)
> C-x v b l - vc-print-branch-log
> C-x v b s - vc-retrieve-tag (maybe it should have an alias 'vc-switch-branch'?)
> C-x v s   - vc-log-search
> C-x v r   - free, any ideas what to bind to it?
>
> Since `C-x v b' will show "C-x v b-" in the echo area,
> and `C-x v s' will show "Search log with pattern: " in the minibuffer.
> and `C-x v r' will show "C-x v r is undefined",
> I see no problem in adding all keybindings before the next release.

It's an ambitious rebinding...  but the new bindings are clearly an
improvement, and none of the commands that are being rebound to/from are
things that "do things immediately", but instead prompt for further
input, so the potential for this to destroy people's repositories should be
lessened.

But...  perhaps we should take this to emacs-devel to see whether other
people feel differently?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no