Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 14:59:18 +0300

On 08.09.2021 11:00, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Speaking of (re)moving bindings: 'C-x v b' (vc-switch-backend) seems
>> particularly useless.
> 
> Oh, wow.  What's the use case for that command?  I can't imagine when
> that would actually do something useful...  And it's a really old
> command, too -- perhaps this was something that made sense in an RCS
> world?

I think it's for the case of nested repositories, like in bug#42966 and 
other linked reports. And perhaps our detection might make the wrong 
choice, thus it can be tweaked manually.

I don't have any specific scenario in mind, though. Or personal 
experience with such nesting.

>> If we do this the conservative way, though, the whole procedure can
>> span half a decade:
>>
>> - Move vc-switch-backend to 'C-x v B' (Emacs 28)
>> - Move branch-map to 'b' and vc-create-tag to 'C-x v b c' (Emacs 29)
>> - Finally move vc-search-log to 'C-x v s' (Emacs 30)
> 
> We could do the first two steps in Emacs 28, perhaps -- if anybody's
> actually using `C-x v b', they'll then get
> 
> C-x v b-
> 
> in the echo area, which should tell them that something's different is
> happening now...

Works for me.

Juri, what do you say?