Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 10:00:07 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Speaking of (re)moving bindings: 'C-x v b' (vc-switch-backend) seems
> particularly useless.

Oh, wow.  What's the use case for that command?  I can't imagine when
that would actually do something useful...  And it's a really old
command, too -- perhaps this was something that made sense in an RCS
world?

> If we do this the conservative way, though, the whole procedure can
> span half a decade:
>
> - Move vc-switch-backend to 'C-x v B' (Emacs 28)
> - Move branch-map to 'b' and vc-create-tag to 'C-x v b c' (Emacs 29)
> - Finally move vc-search-log to 'C-x v s' (Emacs 30)

We could do the first two steps in Emacs 28, perhaps -- if anybody's
actually using `C-x v b', they'll then get

C-x v b-

in the echo area, which should tell them that something's different is
happening now...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no