Subject: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 05:58:12 +0300

On 07.09.2021 18:05, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Juri Linkov<[email-masked]>  writes:
> 
>> I don't know, if someone types a familiar key and it does
>> something completely different...

As long as it doesn't do anything dangerous right away, that could fly. 
Of course, people can still complain. Depends on how popular it is.

> Yeah, I didn't mean rebind it immediately -- we can remove the binding
> now, and then reuse the binding in a couple of releases.

Speaking of (re)moving bindings: 'C-x v b' (vc-switch-backend) seems 
particularly useless. If it weren't there, the newly added branch 
commands could use the nicer prefix instead of 'C-x v B'. branch-map in 
vc-dir could also be changed to use 'b' (not sure why 'B' was chosen 
there originally: there is no conflict).

Maybe vc-switch-backend sees some occasional use, but moving it to 
something like 'C-x v B' would be more appropriate. Or some other 
longer/complex sequence.

If we do this the conservative way, though, the whole procedure can span 
half a decade:

- Move vc-switch-backend to 'C-x v B' (Emacs 28)
- Move branch-map to 'b' and vc-create-tag to 'C-x v b c' (Emacs 29)
- Finally move vc-search-log to 'C-x v s' (Emacs 30)