Subject: Re: bug#50344: C-x v keybinding for vc-print-branch-log

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:37:21 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 24.12.2021 16:57, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>  writes:
>> 
>>> On 24.12.2021 14:56, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>>>> Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>   writes:
>>>>
>>>>> I have pushed the change which obsoletes vc-switch-backend now.
>>>> So what is the preferred way for switching to another vc backend from
>>>> 28.1 onward?
>>> I suppose it depends on your scenario.
>>>
>>> Do you routinely use two different backends in certain
>>> projects/directories?
>> Yes, when switching between some default vc backend such as git and
>> vc-backup (from ELPA) to work with backup files.
>
> I haven't tried that package, but it's a little surprising that
> vc-backup needs such a feature to be fully usable. I guess one option
> would be for it to provide user commands, one of which which would
> move it at the front of vc-handled-backends? An the other would undo
> that action. Or just bundle a copy of vc-switch-backend under a
> different name.

The package is still usable, you just don't get to work on backups when
your file is managed by some other version control system (unless you
want prioritise it over any other backend).  If it is the case, that
vc-switch-backend is rarely used, it seems like adding a custom
vc-backup-toggle-backend command to vc-backup would make the most sense.

> But if you don't like both of those suggestions, my preferred plan
> would be for you to continue using vc-switch-backend in Emacs 28. In
> Emacs 29, we could un-obsolete it but put it on a different key
> binding (such as 'C-x v B'), freeing 'C-x v b' for the prefix map for
> branch operations.

Maybe I missed something, but would the issue be to just unbind the key,
without obsoleting it?  FWIW I would also appreciate having C-x v b
bound to branch commands.

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic